$750Okay in damages estimated from Saskatoon hearth – Saskatoon

A cigarette butt was the culprit that caused $750,000 in damages to a home on the 600 block of Hargreaves Lane in Saskatoon Monday evening.

The Saskatoon Fire Department said crews brought the blaze under control at 8:46 pm, noting that nobody was injured.

An investigation into the fire found that it started inside a pillar that was supporting the roof over the front door.

A paper cup for cigarette butts was near the pillar, and butts were found in the pillar as well.

trending stories

The fire department added that people should use non-combustible containers made of glass or metal as cigarette receptacles, and have water in them to make sure the butts are fully extinguished.

Story continues below advertisement

Click to play video: 'Washburn wildfire threatens ancient trees in Yosemite National Park'

Washburn wildfire threatens ancient trees in Yosemite National Park

Previous video


© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Comments are closed.